3. Illustrative View – It’s about a real, physical relationship that illustrates a spiritual reality.
“We do not need to choose between literal and allegorical interpretation of the Song of Songs, as earlier generations of Christian readers felt they had to. There is no good reason to see erotic, earthly love as problematic either in itself or in its ability to speak by analogy of the divine-human relationship.” –Iain Provan, The NIV Application Commentary
- The meaning is more than literal, but not less.
- Jesus combines both views.
- The NT combines both views.
- Church leaders have historically combined both views.