II. The Command Restored
Key questions to consider:
Why is His name being invoked and not someone else's?
(1) to cite or appeal to someone/something for help or support (prayer)
(2) to call as a witness or for inspiration (praise)
When is it appropriate or inappropriate to speak His name?
A. Inappropriate use of His name
• When it is used Irreverently
• When it is used Flippantly
B. Appropriate use of His name
• When it is used Formally (In a suitable, official manner)
"Hallowed" = hagiazo (hag-ee-ad'-zo) to make holy, to separate, consecrate
• When it is used Informally (In a relaxed, friendly manner)
"sanctify" = hagiazo (hag-ee-ad'-zo) to make holy, to separate, consecrate