Going Deeper is designed for use with your small group, a friend or on you own. Its aim is to create time for you to spend with God and his word. Do as much or as little as you like. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact one of our pastoral staff.
2. This week, our Biblical text was Phil. 3:1-11 where Paul invites us to place our confidence in Christ alone and not our deeds or heritage. Our ultimate joy comes from knowing Christ and sharing in his sufferings. What thoughts or questions did the message raise for you?
3. List some of the “joy killers” that you have experienced in your life. Read Phil 3:2-6. Give examples of legalistic attitudes that you have noticed in others. Where have you placed confidence in the flesh, and relied on your own ability rather than on God’s power? What impact do you think this has had on your spiritual growth? How has it affected others?
4. Paul uses strong language (v8) to refer to the uselessness of our efforts to gain our own righteousness. What might hold you back in considering all our works “to be a loss?” What would be difficult to give up? What antidote does Paul suggest to this problem?
5. Read Phil 3:7-11. Why is knowing Christ so valuable to Paul? What do you think Paul is getting at, that would make him so obsessed with having this fellowship? How would you describe your intimacy with Christ?
6. How can Paul say that sharing in Christ’s sufferings can actually bring greater intimacy with Christ? Share with the group any time that suffering brought you closer to Christ and eventually brought you joy.
7. Take a moment of silence to consider how God is speaking to you through these verses. Is He asking you to make changes or to do something new? What concrete steps of response do you want to take? How can your group support you in these steps?