Let's Talk About It
Hasn’t Science disproven God?
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
Shawn spoke on the topic of the relationship of Science and God at the Gathering. Wherever you are at in wrestling with this topic, take some time to appreciate how God was looking out for us, giving us insight through the Bible on our way to scientific discovery.
1. People in early times believed the earth was supported and resting on something. Now read Job 26:7. What Scientific discovery does this agree with?
2. Before the telescope was invented, people believed they could count the stars. Even the great astronomer Johann Kepler numbered the stars at slightly over one thousand. What modern scientific discovery was the Bible pointing people to? Read Jeremiah 33:22
3. What did mankind believe in ancient times about the earth in terms of shape etc. What Scientific discovery was the Bible pointing to?
Read Isaiah 40:22
4. God gave this instruction to the Israelites, forbidding them to eat the flesh of any animal that had died a natural death. Read Deuteronomy 14:21. What was God helping us to avoid that we would scientifically prove later?
5. The Bible is the only book of the ancient world to order this. What is the scientifically proven practice that God was giving people? Read Leviticus 13:45-46
6. What Scientific discovery was the Bible pointing people towards in regards to water and potential issues? Leviticus 11:29-36
7. What Scientific discovery was the Bible ahead of its time on regarding sewage? Deuteronomy 23:12-13
8. What has been proven about circumcising babies on the 8th day. See God’s instruction far before it was understood: Read Genesis 17:12
Now read the following:
“The full meaning of that command has only been recently understood. Doctor Russel J. Thomsen writes: One simple aspect of Gods command to Abraham helped prevent excessive bleeding with circumcision of the newborn. That was the instruction that the rite should be done on the eighth day of life. Modern medicine has come to understand the mechanisms at work in the clotting of blood. Of major importance in blood clotting is prothrombin, a compound made in the liver and the precursor of the active clotting agent thrombin. It has been well established that within a few hours after birth prothrombin becomes relatively depleted and does not become replenished by the infants liver until about the eighth day of life.”
The Bible is not a science textbook, nor has ever claimed to be...but God has given us glimpses into the Universe and loves hearing our wonder – our complements – for what He has made. Much of this wonder has come through our scientific exploration, mining the depths of the Incredible Things God has made.
9. Take some time to pray out what you think is a marvel!