It’s what you give in a relationship that matters, not what you get from a relationship.
- Jonathan gave: he stripped himself of the robe, and was willing to give up the throne. He was in the position to be the king.
- He gave his garments and even his sword (there were not many swords in Israel). He was telling David, "You're the guy."
- He gave:
1. His Position
2. His Prominence
3. His Possessions
- What we can give to encourage others:
1. Ear: The best way to encourage someone is to listen to them.
2. Earnings: It's going to cost you something to encourage others.
3. Experience: Many have gone through difficult things (2 Corinthians 1:3).
- How to give these:
1. Excellent: in what you do.
2. Enthusiastic: It's better not to give than to give the wrong way.
3. Enrich: The early church gave of their possessions (Acts 4:33-38).