Discussion Notes (for use in a small group or individual study)
Sermon: The Power of Thanksgiving
(Phone apps are good for comparing multiple translations. Study Bibles help with interpretation.)
1. Icebreaker question: What are you thankful for right now? What do you struggle to be thankful for?
2. Key Scriptures to review: Luke 17:11-19; Romans 1:18-25; John 6:23; Luke 22:19
3. The sermon focused on the powerful effects of thankfulness in our lives. What do you remember about each of the main points? What stood out to you or impacted you?
4. Review Luke 17:11-19
a) Put yourself in the shoes of the ten lepers. What do you it must have been like for them to be healed by Jesus?
b) Have you ever experienced a healing of some kind? How did you respond?
c) Why do you think nine of the men did not return to thank Jesus?
d) What did the Samaritan man gain because of his thankfulness?
e) How often do you think to thank the Lord for what He has done for you?
5. Review Romans 1:18-25
a) Describe the downward spiritual progression that Paul points to.
b) What role can thankfulness play in doing well spiritually? Why do you think this is?
c) Why is a lack of thankfulness to God associated with idolatry?
d) How often do you thank God for the natural world and the beauty of all of His creation? How can you be more intentional about this?
6. What do you think about the idea that thankfulness can lead to breakthroughs and miracles?
a) How could this idea be misunderstood and misapplied?
b) What is an appropriate way to view this concept?
7. Spend some time giving thanks to God in prayer. Ask Him to help you be a thankful person.