1. Icebreaker - Tell us about a time when someone used their words to help you in a way that made a lasting impact?
2. Read James 3:3-6. What is the point of this passage?
a. How have you seen this to be true in your life?
3. Read Proverbs 13:3. What do you think it means to guard your mouth?
a. What are some practical ways you try to this in your life?
4. Read Proverbs 29:20. What do you think it means to speak in haste?
a. How can speaking in haste be harmful to you and those around you?
b. Is it always appropriate to wait before you speak?
c. Can you think of times that demand an immediate response?
5. Read Proverbs 17:27-28. What do you think the point is?
a. How do you choose what thoughts should be spoken and what thoughts should stay in your head?
b. Which part of the THINK acronym do you struggle with the most? THINK stands for True? Helpful? Inspiring (or encouraging)? Necessary? Kind?
6. Read Proverbs 27:14. What lesson is this proverb trying to teach?
a. How can this proverb change our approach to having difficult conversations?
7. Read Proverbs 18:13. What are some of the consequences of responding before we listen? How can you work at practicing better listening skills?
8. Luke 6:45 states that our mouths speak what is in our hearts. What does it look like to seek after Jesus in a way that transforms our hearts?
9. Ask your group to identify a few ways they can work on having wiser speech. Ask if anyone is willing to share.