Discussion Notes (for use in a small group or individual study)
Sermon: Ruth Part 2 - Remembering the Poor
(Phone apps are good for comparing multiple translations. Study Bibles help with interpretation.)
1. Have you ever stepped out in faith to give generously to the needy? What happened?
2. The sermon looked at Ruth chapter 2, where Ruth is allowed to glean in the fields. Review the main points of the sermon. What stood out to you or impacted you? Do you have any questions about it?
3. Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-11
a) Why do you think Paul begins this passage with a discussion of farming? (9:6)
b) How should we give? Why? (9:7)
c) What promise does God give to believers who do give generously? What kind of “good work” do you think is meant? (9:8)
d) What does God provide? What do you think this looks like practically in a Christian’s life? (9:10)
e) What does God expect us to do with His blessings in our lives? And what is the ultimate purpose of this? (9:11)
4. Read Psalm 112:1-9 (Paul quotes verse 9 in the 2 Corinthians passage above)
a) Who is being described in this passage?
b) What characteristics do they have?
c) What do they do for the poor?
d) What will happen as a result? (see v. 5)
5. Going deeper
a) Why do you think God loves cheerful giving more than reluctant giving?
b) What motivates people to be cheerful givers? And what is lacking in the heart of a reluctant giver?
c) What steps can we take to become less reluctant and more cheerful in our giving?
6. In what ways can you respond to this message about generosity this week?
7. Spend some time praying that God would give you more of His heart for the poor. Ask Him to lead you in what to do. And pray for any specific needs in your group.