YOU CAN ALL PROPHESY
“Earnestly Desire The Gift Of Prophecy”
Text: 1 Cor 14
“Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.” Vs 1
FOUR APOSTOLIC ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GIFT OF PROPHECY
QUESTION ONE: WHAT IS PROPHECY?
Paul answers, “it's speaking a message from God to people.”
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people (1 Co 14:2–3)
a) Prophecy - prophēteia - inspired utterance (spoken word)
- A prophecy offers God’s perspective on the past, present or future
- A Prophecy is spirit-inspired speech
- A Prophecy is God’s perfect message entrusted to imperfect people
For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (2 Pe 1:21).
To claim to speak for God should be something we carry with a HIGH level of honor and humility
b) Prophet - prophētēs - one who proclaims inspired utterances on behalf of God
- The Old Testament Prophet
* A messenger from God who spoke to people on God’s behalf
* "The Prophets" are the prophetic books in the Old Testament
- New Testament Prophet
* Ministry Gift of Jesus to His church (Eph 4:11)
* Equips the saints for the work of ministry
* Entrusted with a position of clear authority, responsibility, and influence
Agabus (Acts 11:27; 21:9)
Antioch Prophets (Acts 13:1-3)
c) The Gift of Prophecy - charisma + prophēteia - the spirit enabled ability to prophesy
* Is a gift/manifestation of the spirit in a believer's life (1 Cor 12:10)
* Empowered by the spirit (1 Cor 12:6,11)
* Primarily for the corporate body (1 Cor 14:1-5)
QUESTION TWO: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF PROPHECY?
Pauls answers, “prophecy builds, fills and heals.”
the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. (1 Co 14:3–4)
a) It Builds - Edification
b) It Fills - Encouragement
c) It Heals - Consolation
Where the OT believer had to search out the prophet to get a word from the Lord, we need only search out the Spirit!
QUESTION 3… WHAT DO I DO WITH A PROPHETIC WORD?
Pauls answers, “weigh it”
29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, 32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. (1 Co 14:29–33).
* Does It Pass the Lordship Test? (1 Cor 12:1-4)
* Does It Pass the Word Test? (2 Pet 3:16)
* Does It Pass the Authority Test? (1 Cor 14:29)
* Does It Pass the Inner Witness Test? (Act 15:28)
4. WHO CAN PROPHESY?
Pauls answers, “we can all prophesy”
31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, 32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. (1 Co 14:31–33)
* All Can Prophesy
* All Can Learn
* All Can be Encouraged
Where do I begin?
Ask - Who has God given me influence with
Pray - For them by name
- Is there a place they need to be built up?
- Is there a place they need to be filled up?
- Is there a place they need to be healed up?
Write down any verse or thought you hear God speak
Share - Find a meaningful way to share that with them in honor and humility