“THE PROMISE BECOMES REALITY” (A Christmas Series About the Faithfulness of God)
Part 8: “THE PROMISE’S TRANSPORTATION”
Zechariah 9:9 Matthew 21:4-5
1. Jesus, by riding a donkey, is claiming His Rightful Placeas the prophesied Messiah.
Zechariah 9:9 (Matthew 21:9)
2. Jesus, by riding a donkey, displays His Humility.
3. Jesus, by riding a donkey,Symbolizes Peace.
1 Kings 1:33 mentions Solomon riding a donkey on the day he was recognized as the king of Israel.
The mention of a donkey in Zechariah 9:9-10 fits the description of a king who would be “righteous and having salvation, gentle.” Rather than riding to conquer, this king would enter in peace.
Zechariah 9:10highlights this peace: “I will take away the chariots from Ephraim and the war-horses from Jerusalem, and the battle bow will be broken. He will proclaim peace to the nations. His rule will extend from sea to sea and from the River to the ends of the earth.”
Jesus fulfills this prediction of Zechariah.Worldwide peace, when Christ establishes His Eternal Kingdom, was proclaimed by the angels’ song in : “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!” (NKJV).
4. Jesus, riding a donkey, was foreshadowed bya father willing to sacrifice his own only son.
5. Jesus' triumphal entry on a donkey fulfills God's Blessing to His people.
Genesis 49:10-12 (John 15)
6. Emissaries would send donkeys overloaded with giftsto appease the wrathof an enemy.
Jacob sent donkeys along with other gifts to avoid the wrath of his brother Esau (Genesis 33).
Abigail brought donkeys packed with food to keep David from killing her family. (1 Samuel 25)
7. God used a donkey to warn of His judgment!
8. Jesus demonstrated that He is theBurden-Bearerwho came to save us.
Isaiah 53:4 - “Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows…” (ESV)
John 1:29 - “The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.” (ESV)
1 Peter 2:24 - He himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By His wounds you have been healed. (ESV)