I. Advent - Time of preparation for Jesus
II. Matthew prepares us for Jesus through a genealogy
A. Matthew's genealogy is different than others in the Bible.
B. Doesn't line up with the historical documents in the Bible.
1. Kings have the wrong names.
2. The number of Kings doesn't add up.
3. Matthew includes women.
III. Matthew includes the "wrong" women.
A. Sara, Rebekah, Rachel and Leah would be more standard.
B. Matthew doesn't include them. Instead he includes:
1. Tamar - She is part of scandalous story.
2. Rahab - She is def. not Jewish and part of a scandalous story.
3. Ruth - Maybe part of a scandalous story, def. not Jewish.
4. Wife of Urriah - Likely not Jewish, scandal, and Matthew may dislike her.
C. Matthew includes shocking people to introduce Jesus to us.
IV. Whatever you may think Jesus came to do, Matthew makes clear that Jesus entered the world to extend God's mercy.
A. Bruner quote - "God's mercy is deep and wide."
B. When law comes into conflict with mercy, Mercy always wins, according to Jesus in Matthew.
V. When we celebrate Jesus entering into the world, we celebrate God's mercy.
A. God decided to work through surprising people.
B. How might God surprise you now?
C. Through whom might God surprise you now?