Known by Love
Who is your favorite relative, teacher, or coach?
· John 13:34-35 NLT – 34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”
Big Idea: Our love for God and others is our most important attribute.
Scripture: John 13:1-5, 12-17 NLT
· 1-5: Before the Passover celebration, Jesus knew that his hour had come to leave this world and return to his Father. He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end. 2 It was time for supper, and the devil had already prompted Judas, son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had given him authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God. 4 So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him.
· 12-17: 12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? 13 You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. 16 I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. 17 Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.
What is a love response in a hating world?
· Love is willing to get messy and dirty
o Matthew 7:12 NLT – 12 “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you.
o John 13:4-5 NLT – 4 So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him.
o Romans 5:8 NIV – 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
· Love says the hard things when necessary
o Jesus had many hard conversations
§ Peter (Luke 22)
§ The Lame Man (John 5)
§ Woman caught in adultery (John 8)
§ Woman at the well (John 4)
o Romans 6:23 NLT – For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.
· Love continues to engage even when it hurts
o Proverbs 25:21-22 NLT – 21 If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink. 22 You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads, and the Lord will reward you.
· Love views today in light of eternity
o John 13:3 NLT – 3 Jesus knew that the Father had given him authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God.
o 2 Peter 3:9 NIV – 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
Who is currently hard to show love to in your world?
· John 13:35 NLT – 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”
· Memorize: John 13:35 NLT
· Evaluate: Where do I need to grow in my love for others?
· Action: Engage in a loving manner to who God puts on your heart.