Luke 5:12-26: Compassionate Hands
I) Tenacious Risk-Taking Followers
A) The Leper
1) Leprosy was a skin disease which ____________ all sensitivity to pain and resulted in a disfigured body.
2) Lepers had to _____________ themselves and warn others they were coming near.
3) Lepers were hopeless ______________.
4) This man ___________ everything to enter the city and approach Jesus.
B) The paralyzed man’s friends.
1) They tried to carry their friend in on a __________.
2) When that didn’t work, they got ________________ and dropped him through a roof.
3) Many thought the man’s ________ caused his paralysis.
II) Upset Religious Leaders
A) These biblical scholars knew only __________ can forgive sins.
B) They considered Jesus’s claim to forgive sins ___________________. They understood Jesus was implying he was God.
III) Compassionate Jesus
A) Jesus touched the sick, but was not __________________.
B) Jesus restored the leper to his family and _____________.
C) Jesus’s healing proved to his ability __________________ sins!
IV) How does this passage apply to us today?
A) It challenges us to show ___________________ to the outcasts of our day.
Who are the outcasts around you? How can you show compassion?
B) It reminds us that we all need Jesus to _____________ from the deadly disease of our sin.
C) It encourages believers to __________________ others to Jesus.
Who do you know that needs to be introduced to Jesus? What can you do to help make the introduction?