I. The Blessing of the Peace of God
2 Thessalonians 3:16a - Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way.
A. The Lord (God) of Peace
2 Thesalonians 3:16a - Now may the Lord of peace Himself
Romans 15:33 - Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
Philippians 4:9 - The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
Peace (εἰρήνη eirene) - harmonious relationship and freedom from disputes. Relates to the Hebrew word “shalom”, which was the intense desire of every Jew.
Why is this such a strong desire?
1. When God created Man and Woman, we were in a relationship of Peace with Him
Genesis 3:8a - And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day
2. BUT, when Adam and Eve sinned, they broke that relationship of Peace and brought on a relationship of enmity
Genesis 3:8b - and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.
3. They separated themselves from God by their sin, and thus brought that adversarial relationship on all their descendants
Genesis 3:24 - So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.
Isaiah 59:2 - But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.
4. God sent His Son to live a perfect life and die in our place in order to restore that relationship of Peace with Him.
Jesus accomplished this by living a perfect life.
The second way Jesus restored our relationship of Peace with God is by sacrificing Himself on the cross.
5. We are brought into that relationship of peace with God through faith.
Romans 5:1–2 - Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
B. God continues to give His people peace
2 Thessalonians 3:16b - give you peace always in every way.
John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.