Life Group Discussion Notes
Sermon: Who Is Jesus: The Resurrection and the Life
Everyone is encouraged to bring a Bible (Phone apps are good for reading together in the same translation. Study Bibles give help with interpretation.)
1. Can you think of a time when you felt disappointed with God? What happened?
2. The sermon looked at the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (review John 11 if needed). What stood out to you? Do you have any questions to bring up?
3. Read Luke 24:13-36 (this story takes place on the Sunday after Jesus was crucified)
a) What were these men discussing as they walked?
b) Why did they feel hopeless? (see vv. 20-21)
c) Why does Jesus call them foolish?
d) Do you think it is foolish for a Christian to be hopeless? Why or why not?
e) What caused their hearts to start coming to life again? (feel free to discuss one or more verses from the “For Further Study” section below)
f) How are your expectations of the Christian life affected by trials? What helps you to have hope again?
g) What advice would you give to a Christian who is feeling hopeless or bewildered?
4. Read Ephesians 1:18-21. In what ways is the power that raised Christ from the dead at work in believers? What does this look like practically?
5. Now spend some time praying for each other. Ask that your hearts would be set ablaze again through the truth about Jesus. Pray that your eyes would be opened to God’s resurrection power at work in you.
For Further Study
We don’t know exactly which Scriptures from “Moses and all the Prophets” Jesus opened to the two men on road to Emmaus. But below is a list of some likely passages that Jesus explained to them. Take some time to read one or more of these passages. How do you think they point to Jesus? (note that “Moses” refers to the first five books of the Bible and “the Prophets” refers to people like David, Samuel, Daniel, Isaiah, etc.)
a) Genesis 3:15
b) Genesis 12:3
c) Numbers 21:9 (also see John 3:14-16)
d) Numbers 24:17
e) 2 Samuel 7:12-16
f) Psalm 22
g) Isaiah 7:14
h) Isaiah 9:6
i) Isaiah 52:13-15
j) Isaiah 53:1-12
k) Jeremiah 23:5-6
l) Daniel 7:13-14
m) Daniel 9:24-25
n) Micah 5:2
o) Zechariah 9:9
p) Zechariah 12:10