Today we are seeing the culmination of the story of Israel, Jesus the Messiah has come to rescue and restore not only his chosen people but all people,
Often our understandings of Jesus are culturally influenced. For me as a pastor (this is Scott writing), I really didn't understand the significance of Jesus being Jewish was to him being the Messiah.
As you read Isaiah 11:1-12 and Jeremiah 31:31-34, you will see that the nation of Israel began hoping for a time when God will make a new covenant with his people, that he will write it on their hearts and a king from the lineage would come.
Therefore as we look at all the things we can say about Jesus, here are 7 qualities or characteristics of the person of Jesus.
1) Promise Keeper - After 400 hundred years of silence in scripture, the first words we see in Matthew 1:1 is the genealogy of Jesus. He is the son of David, the son of Abraham. In other words, he is the one that we had all been waiting for. God is keeping his promise of redeeming the brokenness of humanity.
2) Kingdom Bringer - We see the inauguration of Jesus ministry in Luk 4:18-21, that he quotes the Messianic expectation from Isiah 61 and says, "this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing". The Kingdom of God is at hand.
In fact Jesus first "sermon" and the encapsulation of his message was from Mark 1:14-15, "The Kingdom of God is at Hand. Repent and believe the good news."
3. Miracle Worker - Jesus' miracles were a sign that kingdom of God had come. Healing the deaf and blind, healing a paralyzed man, walking on water, feeding 5000+ people, raising the dead are all signs that Jesus is the Messiah and that the kingdom had come.
4. Wisdom Teacher - In the sermon on the mountain, the greatest sermon ever given, Jesus interpreted God's law and the meaning behind it. He said he came to fulfill the law. Human's continually fell short and by the offering of Jesus' perfect life, he fulfilled the Old Testament law.
5) Boundary Extender - Jesus expanded the boundaries of who is in God;s love. He touched the leper as a way of healing and didn't just speak it into existence. Jesus spoke to the samaritan woman who was isolated from her people. Jesus went to gentile areas and brought his disciples with him because everyone was important to God. Though his stories, he defined neighbor as not just those physically around you but everyone is your neighbor.
6) Spirit Modeler - Jesus modeled what it means to be as a human lead by the Spirit of God, able to discern God's voice and be obedient to it.
7) Loving Reconciler - Jesus came to offer his life on the cross and be raised to life again so that our sin could be paid for and for us to experience eternal life.