Sermon Discussion Questions
1. What are spiritual gifts? What is the purpose of spiritual gifts? Do you know what your spiritual gifts are? How do you use them in the church? (1 Cor. 12:7–11; 1 Peter 4:10–11).
2. What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
3. Read 2 Timothy 1:6. What does it mean to “fan the flame” of the gift of God? Why is fire an appropriate metaphor for avoiding spiritual atrophy?
4. Read 2 Timothy 1:7. In what ways does the Holy Spirit help us overcome our fear? In what ways does the Holy Spirit help us to grow in “love and self-control”?
5. Read 2 Timothy 1:8. Paul gives three implications of faithfulness to the gospel. What are they? What did these look like for Paul and Timothy? What do they look like for us today?
6. What is the danger of moderation in the Christian faith? How do we avoid moderation?
7. Read 2 Timothy 1:9–10. Paul mentions the gospel as a way to remind Timothy of the key to feeding the flame of God’s gift and remaining faithful. Why is reminding ourselves of the gospel daily key to faithfulness?
8. Read Ephesians 1:10; 2:7–10; 3:9–11; 1 Tim. 2:3–4. Here Paul explains some of the purposes of God in bringing salvation. What are they? Which one sticks out to you most?
9. The church isn’t the church without you using your gifts for the common good. What are some ways that you will get involved in the mission of the church?