Luke 2:21-40: Jesus is presented at the temple!
I) Luke continues to prove that Jesus is the promised Messiah / Redeemer.
II) Jesus's parents did everything the Mosaic Law required.
A) Mary and Joseph _____________ and officially name their baby Jesus.
B) They went to the temple and performed two ___________ ceremonies.
1) The purification of a ________ forty days after giving birth to a son.
2) The __________________ of the firstborn to God.
C) They possibly also presented Jesus for ___________to the Lord.
D) Mary and Joseph were ___________ and could not afford the lamb so they presented 2 birds instead.
III) The Holy Spirit uses two mature believers to confirm Jesus's Messianic identity.
A) Both of these mature believers were ___________ to the Lord.
B) Simeon is waiting for the promised redeemer that would comfort his people.
1) Isaiah prophesied that ___________ would come to God’s people when their sins and been paid for.
2) The Holy ______ confirms to Simeon that Jesus is this redeemer.
C) Simeon bursts out in praise at the sight of Jesus.
1) The Sovereign God keeps his _____________.
2) This Savior wouldn’t just be for Jews, but _______________ too!
3) Because of Jesus, Simeon can now die in __________!
D) Simeon warns Mary.
1) Jesus will ______ what is in people’s hearts. They will either rise up with him or stumble over him.
2) Jesus will bring Mary ________.
E) Anna declares that Jesus is the Savior the Jews had been looking for.
IV) Jesus grew in the wisdom and grace of God.
V) Questions we should wrestle with today.
A) Are you rising or falling in the presence of Jesus?
B) What will following Jesus cost you?