Conversation Starters help us dig deeper, connecting Sunday’s sermons with our Monday lives. These prompts have been designed to help Community Groups grow in their relationship with God, with one another, and with their neighbors. Please know that these questions are meant to be a resource to you. You do not have to follow them verbatim or get through them all. We trust you to know your group and to ask the questions based on your group needs.
1) How would you summarize the sermon in 60 seconds or less? What stood out to you?
2) The average person is fast to dismiss the idea of a supernatural world where good and evil spirits battle, yet they can be fast to accept the “supernatural” world of things like horoscopes. What are other examples of “supernatural” phenomena that people embrace? Why do you think they embrace them?
3) Read Ephesians 6:12. If we don’t see the invisible war around us, we will make real people in our world the real devils. How have you seen this play out in our world? In your life?
4) According to John, the Enemy often comes disguised as an “almost Jesus”. How would you describe what an almost Jesus is in your own words? What are some examples of an almost Jesus in our culture today?
5) How can we guard against being deceived by things that pretend to be good but lead us away from Jesus? What criteria do you use to decide what is legitimate and what is an “almost Jesus”?
• Pray for these days leading up to the election, and how we as people of the light can be peacemakers, no matter which candidates are elected. Pray that we would be able to see who our real enemy is and not make enemies of those who think differently than us politically.