In Correcting One Another
1 Corinthians 5
Why Should I Confront A Follower Of Jesus?
1. Because sin is big deal to God.
2. Because of who we are in Jesus now.
· We have a different attitude toward sin.
· Actually becoming more like Jesus is imperative for followers of Jesus.
Why Am I Reluctant To Confront A Follower Of Jesus?
1. I get confused about when to judge and what to tolerate. Matthew 7:1-2
2. I’m not expected to judge non-Christians.
· I’m not asked to avoid them even though they’re sinful and ungodly.
· The only way for me to be seen as a viable alternative to the world is for me to be in the world, but not of the world!
3. I fail to see confrontation and correction as an act of love.
4. I don’t appreciate the fact God’s people need to be protected.
How Do I Confront A Follower of Jesus Correctly?
Matthew 18:15-17; 2 Corinthians 2:5-8
1. Step one: Do it privately.
2. Step two: Involve other believers.
3. Step three: Involve the entire church.
4. Step four: Refuse any association until there’s repentance.
5. Step five: Restore the relationship when there’s evidence of repentance.