Conversation Starters for Kids & Families.
September 13, 2020
“Where’s This Road Taking Us?”
TODAY: Faith is so much more than a set of rules we follow to please God. It’s about knowing God and walking with Him, turning from darkness towards light. John writes to us so that we won’t sin, but when we do he reassures us that Jesus died in our place as the sacrifice for our sins. When we have faith in Jesus- we obey Jesus, and that leads to loving others. What we believe affects what we do.
READ: Please read 1 John 2:1-11 together
ACTIVITY: Hide & Seek, Dark & Light .
Supplies: Grab a partner and a blindfold.
Find a safe area where you won’t fall or knock anything over. Put on your blindfold and let your partner move away from you. Try to find them with no sound or hints. Then, try it again but this time they can say “hot” or “cold” as you get closer or further away from them. Next, take off the blindfold and close your eyes while they hide. Finally, open your eyes and try to find them now that you can see in the light!
POINT: Awesome! I hope you had fun. Wasn’t it easier to find your partner in the light? A lot of things are easier when we have light! That’s what John reminds us of this week. When we walk in the dark it’s hard to see things and do things. We might get scared or frustrated and take out our feelings on others. Our relationship with God, who is light, helps us in all that we do. We need the light. The light helps us to see clearly to love God and love others.
1. Have you ever wanted to know if you really believe in Jesus? John tells us how we can know for sure in verses 3-5. What does he say?
2. In verse 6 John tells believers that we should live like Jesus. How can you be more like Jesus?
3. Is it possible to love God and hate others?
4. Jesus is our light that shows us the way to go. When we spend time with God and understand His love for us we can show that love to others. What is something loving you can do today?
5. Turn to the gospel of John and read 14:23-24. Jesus himself says if we really love Him, we’ll listen to Him. Do you listen to the people you love? How does it make them feel?
6. This is how we will know if we are in the light or not, if we act like Jesus. Are you living in the light?
Lord Jesus, open our eyes, hearts and minds to the light
Lord Jesus, help us to walk in the light
Lord Jesus, help us to love others the way you love us
Lord Jesus, forgive us of our sin
Lord Jesus, help us hear your word and obey it