What will heaven be like?
There’s not a lot of detail about what will be an immense eternal dwelling (‘we see dimly’), but here’s what we know.
- And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him. (Revelation 22:3)
- That means a new physical universe as well as new bodies.
- Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also, there was no more sea. (Revelation 21:1)
- The ‘heaven’ here refers probably to space beyond earth, not God’s dwelling. There’s implication that there will not be a sun or moon, because we’re told we don't need them.
- Much more land than this earth – ‘no more sea’. Maybe to accommodate all the redeemed?
- There’s description of beauty, but it’s along the lines of God’s throne, the walls of the New Jerusalem, it’s gates, etc.
- So, I tend to think of stunning plant life and geography, whereas the Bible speaks of a magnificent city and temple.
- We are told of a river of life, and a tree of life, but these are messages about God’s life available to us even now, not physical beauty.