1. Can you think of an example where someone wronged you? Did you find it difficult to forgive that person? Why or why not?
2. Can you think of an example where you were the one who wronged someone else? If the other person forgave you, how did it make you feel? How did you feel if they didn’t forgive you?
3. Read Matthew 18:21-35. What do we learn about forgiveness from these verses? In what ways are we like the slave who owed so much? Why is it important that we forgive others?
4. Theologian Lewis Smedes wrote, “To forgive is to set a prisoner free…and that prisoner is you!” Do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer.
5. Read Ephesians 4:32. How is it possible for us to forgive other people as Christ has forgiven us? Do you think there are any sins that are unforgivable?
6. Do you think forgiveness means we have to maintain a relationship with the person who wronged us? Explain your answer. What’s the difference between forgiveness and reconciliation?
7. What resources do we have as believers in Christ to help us as to forgive others?