26. A heavenly messenger brought this short message from the Lord to Philip during his time preaching in Samaria:
Messenger of the Lord: Leave Samaria. Go south to the Jerusalem-Gaza road. The message was especially unusual because this road runs through the middle of uninhabited desert.
27. But Philip got up, left the excitement of Samaria, and did as he was told to do.
27...Along this road, Philip saw a chariot in the distance. In the chariot was a dignitary from Ethiopia, an African man who had been castrated. He had gone north to Jerusalem to worship at the Jewish temple,
29. Philip received another prompting from the Holy Spirit:
Holy Spirit: Go over to the chariot and climb on board.
30. So he started running until he was even with the chariot. Philip heard the Ethiopian reading aloud and recognized the words from the prophet Isaiah.
Philip: Do you understand the meaning of what you’re reading?
35. That began a conversation in which Philip used the passage to explain the good news of Jesus.
36. Eventually the chariot passed a body of water beside the road.
The Ethiopian: Since there is water here, is there anything that might prevent me from being ceremonially washed through baptism and identified as a disciple of Jesus?
Philip:37. If you believe in your heart that Jesus the Anointed is God’s Son, then nothing can stop you. The Ethiopian said that he believed.
38. He commanded the charioteer to stop the horses. Then Philip and the Ethiopian official walked together into the water. There Philip baptized him, initiating him as a fellow disciple.
If you are here checking out us for the first time today, welcome! We are grateful that you’ve made Centerpoint a part of your Sunday. Before you leave today, please take a moment to fill out your Connect Card and leave some feedback while it’s still fresh in your mind. For every first time guest card turned in today, we're going to make a five dollar donation to the Good Samaritan food bank. Through their partnerships with other local agencies around our city, they take that five dollar donation and turn it into fifty dollars worth of groceries to serve families in need. So just by being here for the first time, and filling out your Connect Card, you're helping our church be the church that God is calling us to be. You can drop your Connect Card in the bucket as offering is being received at the end of service.
Let us Pray for YOU!
You're not on this journey alone! Let us know how we can pray for you.
We believe when you give God your first and your best He will bless the rest! You can rest assured that every dollar you give to Centerpoint helps us show the crazy love of Jesus to our city and the world!