1. Can you think of a situation where someone mistreated you? How did you feel about it? How did you respond to that person? What effect did your response have on them?
2. Read Matthew 5:43-48 and Romans 12:17-21. What are some of the reasons why we should love our enemies and return good for evil? Why should we pray for them?
3. How does doing good conquer evil? What happens when we refuse to love our enemies?
4. Can you think of an example where you returned “good for evil” and it turned out well? Can you think of an example where your kindness did not have the desired effect?
5. How does knowing that God will avenge us help us to love those who mistreat us? Do you think we should desire God’s vengeance on others? Why or why not?
6. Are there times when it’s appropriate to seek justice against someone who has wronged us? Explain your answer.
7. Do you think there is a difference between loving a personal enemy and loving a national enemy? If so, what is the difference?