Jesus was telling this story not to the sinners and tax collectors, but to the religious.
• Jesus told this story to tell us that both the irreligious, (people who are anti-religion) and the religious were spiritually lost without Jesus.
• When Christianity first started it was not called a religion. It was actually the non-religious thing to do.
• In fact, the Romans called the early Christians atheists.
• Today, Christianity is considered religion and moralism, but at the beginning it was considered secularism.
• Jesus’ message consistently offended the Bible Believers of the day and attracted the irreligious.