The Sin of Going Through the Motions
A. When God convicts—vs. 1
people to remind Israel of their sin (transgressions).
2. Instead of being quick to punish and bring justice, God is still calling for repentance and a return to HIM.
B. Outwardly the people seemed to be eager to know God and for God to be with them—vs. 2
1. Seek HIMd aily...
2. Want to know HIS ways...
3. “did not forsake the ordinance...”
4. So what was the problem?
C. God is pleased when our hearts align with our actions—vs. 3-5
1. These people were fasting and praying in an attempt to manipulate God.
2. They placed more confidence in what “they did” than in God
3. Their fasts did not bring brokenness. Their fasts did not alter their poor relationships with others.
4. They still had quarrels and fights with others. They still exploited the people they worked with.
5. They still disregarded the poor and the needs of others.
6. Their hearts and not just their heads needed to bow before the Lord!