Discovering God's will for our lives can be frustrating, but it doesn't have to be. As your Father, God wants you to know His plan for your life. This week, as we continue our Imagine series by focusing on the Four-Fold Leading of Jesus our focus is on understanding the external leadings of circumstances. These leadings are the divine doorways that God uses to guide us.
1. How has God made His will for your life obvious through the external leadings of circumstances (doors opening and closing)?
2. Reflect on Jeremiah 6:16. Why are the five main verbs (stand, look, ask, ask, walk) in the passage so crucial to the discerning process? And what is the promise if you follow the process? How does this make you feel about discovering God’s will? Which verb is most challenging to you? Why?
3. Ponder the following quote: The leadings of our hearts are confirmed by God through the opening and closing of doors, encouraging and discouraging voices, and His clarifying Word.
How does this quote relate to the following passages: Psalm 37:4, Psalm 32:8, Ephesians 2:10, and 2 Corinthians 2:12?
4. Review the last line in Jeremiah 6:16. Why do think God declared that about the Israelites and how does it relate to all of us? What holds you back from walking through the divine doorways that God has prepared in advance and are best for you (fear, lack of trust, confusion, holding too tightly to the outcome. etc.)?
5. What is your next step to become better at discerning God’s will? Options include:
---Reflect on the Four-Fold Leadings of Jesus
---Memorize the “6 Discernment Steps” from Jeremiah 6:16 = Stand, Look, Ask, Ask, Walk, Rest
---Find someone to be your encourager in seeking God’s will
---Pray “Your will be done, not mine” or this prayer below:
God, I have this internal desire. Give me the willingness and ability to stand, look, and ask for your prepared and best way for me. Clarify your external leading through your word and others. Then give me strength to walk in Your way and find rest for my soul.
Article: 7 Ways to Distinguish God’s Voice --R. Edmondson
Book: The Will of God as A Way of Life --J. Sittser
RightNow Media (free account): Discover God’s Will --A. Stanley