II. WHEN HOPE FAILS
A. Back to our text—1 Peter 3:13-15
1. We lose hope when we lose faith. How do we lose faith? When our fear is on the rise.
2. Many times when our fear is on the rise, we tend to be silent about Jesus, we may even deny HIM!
3. Peter had great faith at times, then sometimes he feared MAN more than the MESSIAH.
B. When a test or trial hits your life, what happens?
1. Maybe every time you have been tested, you come out great and never fail!
2. Every trial and test you face is an opportunity to shine for Jesus!
C. When Peter falls and fails—Luke 22:54-62
1. This was a man’s man and he was called out by a finger-pointing little girl and he miserably failed!
2. 1 Peter 3:15— “always be ready”
D. Be Ready
1. Peter was writing to people who were scattered all over Asia Minor because of persecution. He was trying to get them ready!
2. “I don’t have to get ready, I stay ready!” —That’s what Peter thought before he failed.
3. He knew the church is like a ship, carrying the Gospel Message all over the world!
4. A lot of people think the church is like a cruise ship and we are just tourists out for a pleasure cruise! Bro. Michael is supposed to cater to my every desire.
5. Well I’m here to tell you, the church is not a cruise ship, it’s a battleship! And this preacher’s job is not to make you comfortable! My job is to preach the WORD and get you up, gird you up and get you ready for the challenge that the world and Satan is going to throw your way!
6. We are on a mission! A Gospel mission! You have everything you need in the Word of God, sharpened by the Spirit of God to accomplish the task!
7. Because of the work and example of our Savior Jesus Christ, we not only have HOPE, we have a LIVING HOPE! (1 Peter 1:3-6)