For Further Study:
Community Group Discussion (or personal homework)
For the week of February 5, 2017
1. This week we focused on the importance of having genuine spiritual influence on the people and world we interact with. What did you find most helpful, challenging or interesting from this week’s message?
1. When you think of the words “evangelism” or “evangelist,” what positive and negative words, images or stories come to mind?
2. The story of your own spiritual journey is one of the most powerful tools you have to share your faith. Knowing that we are all at different points on that journey, how would you describe your relationship with Jesus today?
If someone were to ask you, “What has God done for you?" or "What difference has being a follower of Jesus made in your life?”, what would you say?
1. 1 Thessalonians 2:1-13 gives us a great picture of what a spiritually influential relationship can look like. Read the passage and answer the following questions.
· What do you think he meant by sharing the Gospel?
· What do you think he meant by sharing his life?
· Why does it work best to share the Gospel and your life?
2. Pastor Mike pointed out that having spiritual influence with those around us is something we are all required to do. Yet there are many ways we can have that influence.
· A Relational Style - “Let’s get together”
· A Serving Style - “Let me show you”
· An Invitational Style - “Come with me”
· A Testimony Style - “Look what God did”
· An Intellectual Style - “Give me answers”
God expects us to use the unique personality and gift mix that He gave us to influence others. Which of these styles of spiritual influence best fit who you are?
What are some of the dangers of thinking there is only one way to influence others?
3. A person of spiritual influence needs the ability to tune into the needs of others. How did Jesus respond to people with real needs in Matthew 9:35-38?
What might it look like for us to respond like Jesus did?
TAKING IT HOME
1. Looking back on the sermon and these study questions, is there any area in your life where you could grow or change, or something you can continue, in order to make you a more spiritually influential person?
2. If you could impact the spiritual life of anyone in your current circle of relationships and influence, who would you most like to see take a step closer to Jesus?
What could you do or say that might help that happen?
Spend some time praying for these specific people and God’s work in their life.