1. Who do you think most people think Jesus was (and is)? Who do you say he is? On what basis do you believe what you do?
2. How do you tend to view Jesus: as a Savior, Friend, King or something else? Explain your answer.
3. Read Matthew 2:1-18. Using your smart phone or tablet, who were the Magi? Approximately how far had they traveled to see the baby Jesus? What do you think compelled them to come so far to see Jesus?
4. When the Magi arrived, they asked the question, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews?” How is that question different from, “Where is he who has been born to be king of the Jews?” Read Philippians 2:9-11. What do we learn from these verses about Jesus’ identity?
5. Why do you think Herod was so threatened by Jesus? In what ways are we like Herod?
6. What do we learn about worship from the Magi? How can we imitate their example?
7. Why does it make sense to acknowledge Jesus as King over our lives?
8. How might you apply this lesson to your life?