1. Have you ever been kept awake at night because of fears or worries that you had? What kinds of issues have kept you up?
2. Have you found that it’s more difficult to work through various issues at night than it is during the day? Why do you think this might be the case?
3. Is there anything you do when you wake up in the middle of the night that helps you deal with your fears or worries?
4. God told Jacob to return home after he had been away for 20 years. He was very afraid his brother would take revenge on him for an incident that had happened 20 years earlier. Read Genesis 32:9-12. What can we learn from Jacob’s prayer about how to face our fears?
5. In Genesis 32:24-32, we read about Jacob wrestling with God. Assuming that this story illustrates the idea of wresting with God in prayer, what insights might we draw from it that can be applied to our lives?
6. Read Matthew 7:7-8. Although God already knows what we need before we ask him, we are still told to persevere in prayer. Why do you think God wants us to do this? Why doesn’t God just give us what we need before we ask?
7. How might you apply tonight’s lesson to your life?