Faith With Feet - If You Feel Far from God, Guess Who Moved?
James 4: 1-10
1. Sliding Away (Verses 1-5)
A. The Impact on others
- Verses 1-2: Relationships we have with others consist of quarrels and battles.
B. The Impact on You
- End of Verse 2: You don't have because you do not ask God. You can never get enough, and if you do it's not enough.
- In Verse 3: You don't receive because you go into prayer with the wrong motives closed with worldly pleasures. Go into prayer with a open and honest heart.
• In James 1:17: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father".
C. The impact on God
- Verse 4-5: Worldliness with God doesn't coexist. You are committing adultery. You are being unfaithful. We are having a love affair by giving our affection to the world. A friend of the world is an enemy of God, you can't have both. You cannot serve God and materialism.
• Matthew 6:24: "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despite the other."
2. Drawing Near (Verses 6-10)
James 4:6: But he gives us more grace. That is what scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
- God has more grace than you need, but you have to receive it.
A. Humble yourself
- Verse 6: This is a condition of God grace and that is humility. Your pride keeps you away from God. Humble yourself in the presence of The Lord. When you see The Lord for who he is, You will see yourself for who you are.
• Reference scripture: Isaiah 6:5
B. Submit to God
- Beginning of Verse 7: Recognize your rank. Jesus is the king, and you are the slave. You need God to take over your life. Get off of the throne and let Jesus take over. Humility submits to God. However, when you do this Satan is going to show up. He will try to get you off track.
C. Resist the Devil
- In the middle of Verse 7 it says resist the devil, and he will flee from you. You don't have to attack the devil, but if you submit to God. If you don't have no problem with the devil than you are welcomed to him. Hold your ground against the devil.
• Reference Scripture: Ephesians 6:11
D. Draw Near
- Verse 8: In a spiritual and relational sense, you need to draw near to God. If you draw near to him, he will do the same.
• Reference Scripture: Luke 15:20
- End of Verse 8: We need to wash our hands because that is the first thing we throw in the air when we worship and prayer. God can tell a lot about us by our hands. We need to cleanse your hands. Even when saved, we are sinners. We need to call sin, sin. We don't need to hide sin from God, we need to be open and tell him even though he knows.
- Verse 9: Some Christian takes this out of context. This It's speaking to you if you are away from God. Be broken about your condition to The Lord. Don't laugh at your sin, but weep over it.
- Verse 10: The lower your stoop the more you get. The more broken, the more you get. Humble yourself at all times. God will flood you with forgiveness. When you humbly come back to god you will be satisfied.
Question of the Day: What more will you want?
Created about 1 year ago