PRAYER AND BIBLE STUDY
PRAYER AND BIBLE STUDY
READ: 2 TIMOTHY 3:16-17 – NIV84
R.A. Torrey once bluntly noted, "Every Christian who does not study, really study, the Bible every day is a fool." Martin Luther once wrote, "To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing." And Dwight Moody counseled, "In our prayers we talk to God, in our Bible study God talks to us, and we had better let God do most of the talking."
As we soar to new heights as men of God, we will make Scripture study more and more a priority. Psalm 119:105 reminds us:
Your word is lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Our Savior also calls us to pray continually, in both words and actions (1 Thessalonians 5:17; Ephesians 6:18). God's response to our prayers doesn't depend on our eloquence or efforts. Instead, he has promised that even when we don't know what to ask, the Holy Spirit will take our petitions and shape them into perfect prayers, presenting them to the Father in Jesus' name (Romans 8:26-28).
Here are some practical ideas to help keep you steadfast in God's Word and faithful in prayer. Ask the Lord to reveal other, specific approaches that he would want to use as he grows your faith in Jesus. Enjoy your time with the Lord!
• Commit to a set appointment each day for Bible reading.
• If you are a husband or father, lead your family in regular devotions and prayer.
• Memorize Scripture verses, carrying them with you.
• Use triggers as reminders to pray, perhaps traffic jams, work breaks, or TV commercials.
• Use computer passwords that remind you of Christ's presence and care, such as "forgiven" or "Romans8."
• Pray Scripture for yourself and others (for example, "Create in me/name a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me/him/her" [Psalm 51:10]).
• Take your Bible to church and take notes during the sermon.
• Use the acronym P.R.A.Y. (Praise, Repent, Ask, and Yield to God's will) as an outline for your prayers.
PRAYER STARTER: Jesus, draw me into your presence and teach me to pray and study your Word every day . . .
CREDITS: Man of God. Soaring to New Heights. Tim Wesemann. ISBN: 978-1-933234-95-3. Week 5. Thursday Devotion.
All scripture quotations from NIV84 unless otherwise specified.
Created almost 3 years ago