The Generous Widow and the Watching God
- Genesis 4:2 (NIV)
- Genesis 4:3 (NIV)
- Genesis 4:4 (NIV)
- Genesis 4:5 (NIV)
- Luke 12:33 (NIV)
- Luke 12:34 (NIV)
- Luke 21:1 (NIV)
- Luke 21:2 (NIV)
- Luke 21:3 (NIV)
- Luke 21:4 (NIV)
- 2 Corinthians 8:1 (NIV)
- 2 Corinthians 8:2 (NIV)
- 2 Corinthians 8:3 (NIV)
- 2 Corinthians 8:4 (NIV)
- 2 Corinthians 8:5 (NIV)
- 2 Corinthians 8:6 (NIV)
- 2 Corinthians 8:7 (NIV)
Sermon: The Generous Widow and the Watching God
Speaker: Brady Boyd
Studying: Luke 21
Luke was notorious for pointing out the heroes in the "least of these" people
The poor widow is the hero of this story.
1. Jesus paid attention to what was being given
•Jesus makes a big deal of how we give our things even now
•The Holy Spirit convicts us on how we give our money
•Hold a mirror in front of your soul and take a good look at what's going on
•Luke 12:33-34 ~ especially look at vs 34
•This woman has guarded her heart. Her heart was pure.
2. Jesus was amazed at her faith.
•She was giving by faith.
•Most likely she had made a decision not to eat that day.
•She gave all she had to live on
3. (vs 4) These people gave their leftovers to God. God is searching for giving that requires faith.
•Without faith, it's impossible to please God.
Types of giving:
1. Tipping - Maybe you have a few extra dollars. Maybe you liked the preaching or song. Maybe you felt guilty.
2. Tithing - Making it a part of your lifestyle. Putting forth the first and the best.
3. Offerings - getting more generous. Looking for ways to serve others.
4. Sacrificial Offerings - Radical. This is what the widow did. You are so convinced God is going to take care of you that you give EVERYTHING.
2 Corinthians 8:1-7
•The church of Corinth was a wealthy church. Paul was asking them to help people.
•The poor church was the one helping the poor.
•In America, the more money you make, the harder it is to give some away to poor people.
•The poor church begged to be a part of the offering. The wanted the PRIVILEGE of giving.
•See that you also axel in this grace of giving.
God is testing us no matter what money situation we're in to see what owns our heart.
•Both of them brought something, but God was only impressed with the one that required faith.
No one can serve two masters.
Bring your first and best to God. Worship God with your giving.
Created about 2 years ago