The Ten Commandments, Part V
I. Why Should We Honor Our Father and Mother?
A. We should honor our parents as well as others because without them human society cannot function without lawlessness and anarchy.
1. From the moment we're born we are totally dependent upon the care and love of our parents. How ungrateful we'd be to dishonor the labor of our parents.
B. For the believer coming from a family of believers, you definitely have reason to honor your parents because you've been blessed to have such godly wisdom.
II. How Can We Honor Our Father and Mother?
A. According to Eph 6.1, one is obligated to obey their parents.
1. This comes every time that you're called to do something.
2. This also comes from submitting to your parent's guidance joyfully.
3. Most importantly, this comes from obeying upon the first command.
B. As the Bible has instructed in Prov 13.24, parents have the obligation to physically discipline their children.
1. The Hebrew word for discipline doesn't only mean to physically discipline but also to train.
2. In addition to that, fathers aren't to exasperate their children either, Eph 6.4.
3. Parents shouldn't be as nearly concerned with their child's heart as their own heart.
a. Basically put, if the parent is consistently, thoroughly examining themselves in how they sacrifice things and time for the sake of their children, the child will act as (s)he should since they'll feel loved.
C. Finally, one honors their parents as adults even, but (s)he doesn't have to necessarily have to obey all the parents says, Gen 2.24.
1. Obviously, by this verse an adult generation "leaves" their home and parents to establish their own families by way of marriage.
a. Practically speaking, one who feels the calling of the LORD to act in obedience may have to disobey his/ her parent(s) because due to fear of a possible mistake, the parent may instruct them to disobey God.
2. A child is best able to honor parents when (s)he is most obedient to God.
a. Jesus said that one should love Christ to the point that their relationships with everyone else must look like hate in comparison, Luke 14.26.
Created over 2 years ago