PAUL'S THIRD MISSIONARY JOURNEY- Paul Meets Resistance in the Synagogue - Withdraws to a Lecture Hall
The usual pattern of events started to take their course. For three months Paul reasoned with the Jews in the synagogue, but at last, certain ones were “hardened.” They opposed Paul vehemently so that he abandoned the synagogue, having separated the believers from there, and he used the lecture-hall of a notable teacher named Tyrannus as his headquarters.
A hardened heart—this is the whole problem with man. When men and women harden their hearts they are no longer able to listen, nor are they able to think or act objectively. Instead, they become evil. Divorce is always because of a hardened heart (cf. Mt.19:8, Mk.10:4-5). Hardness of heart destroys discernment and the ability to hearken. Hardness of heart and rebellion go hand in hand.
• Exodus 7:14 Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and could not hear (7:22 8:19 8:32 9:34 9:35).(A hardened heart is because of pride - a proud heart with plenty of fight...cf. Ex. 8:15).
• 2 Kings 17:14 Israel...“hardened their necks like their fathers...and did not believe.”
• 2 Chronicles 36:13 - “Zedekiah...hardened his heart from turning unto the Lord...rebelled.”
• Nehemiah 9:16,17 - “Our fathers...dealt proudly, hardened their necks... hearkened not.” — v29
• Job 9:4 “Who hath hardened himself against him and prospered?”
• Jeremiah 7:26 - “Hearkened not, but hardened their neck...more than the fathers.”
• Jeremiah 19:15 “Hardened their necks that they might not hear my words.”It is a wicked thing to harden the heart. A hardened heart is never blessed by God. Never! If it continues, it will meet judgment.
Created about 1 year ago